Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Deanne Designs

Interview with Amy Gabriel

1. Tell us about your business or craft?
When I was a teen I started getting serious about drawing, designing and sewing.
I studied fashion design at both the University of North Texas and the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC.
Most recently I opened a shop on Etsy.com and it has been so much fun.
At this time, I am focusing on totes, purses, aprons and baby items.


I like details on designs. For instance, a tote I recently completed
is called the Button Tree Tote. It is made from a dark brown canvas, has a stitched tree trunk that has a look of tree bark, and I have stitched some twigs as decorative stitches that are also functional stiches for the straps of the tote. Colorful vintage buttons shape the tree. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13208784


Another example of my work is a tote called the Cityscape Tote. It was a really fun project for me. I combined fabrics using denim, chambray and wool blend felts. The buildings are made from felt and I used several decorative stitches, some with contrasting thread colors. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=13208464


For more examples of my work please visit my Esty.com store.


www.deannedesigns.etsy.com

2. What inspires you to create?
I am inspired by art, fabrics and nature. Visting art galleries is quite inspiring and shopping fabric stores spark new ideas for me.
Also the great outdoors and visiting cities are inspirational to me.

3. What is your secret to success?
My secret to success is market research. I enjoy designing items that many people will like.
Keeping an open mind is very helpful. Critiques of my work guide me to make a better product.
A business owner has to be able to listen to the opinions of others so they can create an appealing product.

4. Who is your inspiration?
My mother is very creative and taught art for many years. She paints in watercolor and oils. I have found that she is a great inspiration to me. I am also inspired by artists and fashion designers.

5. Where do you see your business in 5 years?
In 5 years, I think my business will be thriving. I work at the product development and marketing each day. If I continue to give all my energy and time to this business it should do well.

6. What's your favorite ice cream flavor?
My favorite ice cream is peach.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online