Thursday, August 14, 2008

Interview with J.Lynne Cosmetics

Interview with Jess, from J.Lynne Cosmetics.
 
 
 
 
1. Tell us a little more about you and your shop.
*J.Lynne Cosmetics is a young, vibrant indie beauty company specializing in
all-natural mineral makeup products.  Since 2005, it's been our desire to
bring beauty back to nature with high-quality, yet affordable, handcrafted
cosmetics that are completely free from chemicals, synthetics, fragrances,
and unnecessary ingredients.  Our products are cruelty-free and all of our
loose powder minerals are vegan-friendly.  The complete J.Lynne Cosmetics
line includes everything from mineral foundations to blushes, eye shadows,
natural lipsticks/glosses, and more!

My inspiration to create cosmetics was "skin deep" in the beginning, as I
had been struggling for years with sensitive, acne-prone skin that just
didn't work well with traditional cosmetics.  Factor in my very pale, Irish
complexion and the only choices I had were bare skin (yikes!) or
chemical-laden foundations that created more problems than they covered -
not to mention being the wrong color for my skintone.  So I began
researching natural alternatives and was fascinated with the idea of
mineral-based makeup.  Being the crafty gal I am, I purchased some basic
ingredients and after lots of trial and error, I created my first
foundation, and the idea for J.Lynne Cosmetics blossomed from there!

2. What drives you to create?
*I am a Gemini through and through -- always spinning new ideas, starting new
projects, having surges of creativity.  Handcrafting cosmetics is something
I never thought I'd be doing in a million years, and that's one of the
reasons why I love it!  It took me by surprise and I get to be a bit of a
mad scientist, a bit of an artist, and a bit of a kid at heart all at once!

3. What is it like being your own boss? Is it easier or harder then working
for someone else?
*As with all things, it has its good points and its downside.  Working for
myself really suits my night-owl tendencies (awake until 3am just about
every night!) and I really enjoy doing something challenging that allows me
to fill many different roles and be very creative.  But it also means not
having a steady paycheck, subsidized benefits, job security, a colorful mix
of co-workers, and so on.  Owning a small business definitely isn't for the
faint of heart, but if you work hard and reap the rewards, it's more
fulfilling than anything you could imagine! 

4. What inspires you?
*My inspiration comes from so many different sources.  Nature, artwork,
modern pop culture, vintage/retro trends, you name it!  The best kind of
inspiration really comes from my customers though.  There's nothing better
than the joy and satisfaction I get from creating something that addresses a
specific customer need or desire.  And sometimes we just love to pay them
tribute, like with our recent Japanese Garden Mineral Eyeshadows collection, just our way of saying "thanks & we love you!" to our wonderful fans in Japan!

5. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 
*I see myself with a successful business that has stayed small, homegrown,
and throughly indie!  And maybe a house in Napa Valley with my boyfriend, my
feline posse, and a nicely stocked wine cellar.  That's happiness right
there!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online