Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Interview with Gaia Conceptions


Enjoy the next interview in our series! This time it's with Gaia Conceptions.


1. Tell us a little about yourself and your art.
My name is Andrea and I’m a homegrown southern girl from beautiful North Carolina and I continue to live here today. I have my BFA in sculpture and studied fashion design at Appalachian State University and fiber arts at Savannah College of Art and Design.

2. What you feel you convey to your customers through your craft?
My goal with Gaia Conceptions is to create Eco Chic Apparel shaped to move with the individual contemporary woman. Upon my return from eight months traveling through India and five months living and studying in Amsterdam this collection was born. I have combined the luminous colors and nomadic needs of Indian exploration with sophisticated design, fit for the urban environment. The quality of these garments is my biggest priority. I start by selecting the best fabric I can find, choosing only natural fabrics such as: Local Organic Cotton, Raw Silk, Wool, and Hemp. I receive my fabrics in there natural state, with no added chemicals or dyes. The first step is to design a flat pattern of the garment in all sizes. I have created patterns that flatter the figure and fit most body types easily. I want my clothing to be multifunctional and keep you feeling comfortable and stylish in the work place, a day in the woods, or a night out. All clothing is straight stitched and surged to create super durable seams and a great fit. Then comes my favorite part, color. All my garments are dyed using wonderful, low-impact fiber reactive dyes. I'm also currently in the process of learning how to work with natural dye colors and they will be available soon.

3. Where do you get your inspiration from?
I find smart sustainable design super sexy. I love things like a living machine and geodesic domes. I'm also really into permaculture and transforming unused spaces into organic food producers. It also seems to be important for me to have new challenges on a regular basis. A new design once a week or a new country once a year. The unexpected really is my spice.

4. Where would you like to see yourself in 3 to 5 years?
Happy, healthy, and even closer to my dream of creating a holistic and completely sustainable clothing company!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online